This post has been over a year in the making. Sean and I were planning on tackling this project last May but we had some family matters that took priority. This office wall has had a few transformations over the years with gallery wall after gallery wall… until now. We’ve found a design, look and color that we are not going to change. For the first week after we finished this wall, Sean kept walking by the office saying how much he loved how the accent wall turned out. That makes me so happy because it took some convincing to get Sean on board with the design. Today I’m here to share all the details about how we did the office accent wall. I’ll list the step by steps that we did below and be sure to check out the video at the bottom!
Inspiration. I always, always, always look for inspiration. This not only helps me but helps my husband to visualizer what it is that I want to do. Check out my Pinterest board here.
Measure. The dimensions of the accent wall in our office is 12.5 feet wide, 9 feet on the left side and 13.2 feet on the right. This is a vaulted space which made some of the measurements tricky. Below is the layout I created. We had to measure each vertical piece in the 3rd row as we went along.
Materials. Paint, trim, ladder, small and large level, tape measure, pencil, nail gun, compressor and nails, miter box and a saw. We also needed a table saw for the angles following the peak since the miter box only has 90 and 45 degree cutting angles.
The trim we decided on is 1/2″d x 7/8″ W and 94 1/2″ L We got our delivered right to our house from Home Depot.
Paint. We sampled a few colors but agreed upon a PPG paint color called Obligation and you can get it at Home Depot. This color looks more yellow in some lights and more blue on others. It’s very shifty but we love it in all lights. My advise is to get as many of the small samples as you can and paint LARGE swatches. That way you can see each color at all times of the day to determine what you like.
We painted the large wall and the trim before we cut and applied anything. It was much easier. We still need to putty the holes and touch up a few spots.
We were able to finish this project in one weekend. The planning and layout (along with the measurements) took the most time. The cutting and applying went by fairly quickly.
Thank you all so much for reading. Until next time,